Chelsea Green Publishing is the leading publisher of books on the politics and practice of sustainable living. We lead the industry both in terms of content, with foundational books on renewable energy, green building, organic agriculture, eco-cuisine, and ethical business; and in terms of environmental practice, by printing on recycled paper.
The Project Assistant is a part-time in-house employee reporting to the Production Director. This position could become full-time in the future.
The Project Assistant provides general assistance in all aspects of editorial production from manuscript to bound book and ebooks. Working independently and in support of the Production Director, the ideal candidate will be able to focus on details of projects in a fast-paced work environment.
Responsibilities of the Position Include:
Project Management for Assigned Titles
- Monitor and maintain schedules.
- Contract, review, and oversee work of freelancers to include copy editors, compositors, proofreaders, and indexers.
- Review work of freelancers and give feedback to ensure quality and consistency of Chelsea Green books.
- Proofread corrections to pages, revised pages, and PDFs.
- Copyedit and proofread miscellaneous front matter, back matter, and cover and jacket copy.
- Serve as primary Chelsea Green contact with author from receipt of manuscript into production to bound books.
- Upload final print files to printer and review printer proofs of text and cover/jacket.
- Review production and freelance invoices for accuracy, code, and approve.
- Provide general production assistance (scanning, file transmission, photocopying, filing, mailing, etc.).
- Handle CIP data submission and copyright filing for books.
- Copyedit and proofread miscellaneous marketing materials, front matter, back matter, and cover and jacket copy.
- Produce eGalleys and similar files for titles.
- Handles reprint revisions as needed.
- Create press releases and post cards for marketing based on templates.
- Prep files for ebook conversion and review ebook files.
- Upload files to printers, resellers, and ebook distributors.
- Format/tag manuscripts for submission to typesetter.
- Archive and maintain production files on the server.
- Participate in weekly project schedule meetings.
- Participate in front-list planning meetings.
- Develop project management skills for full-color illustrated books.
- Bachelor’s or associate’s degree
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously on time and on budget
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Competence with Adobe Acrobat and other graphic-arts programs
- Must work out of the White River Junction, Vermont, office of Chelsea Green
- Publishing or graphic arts experience a plus
- Digital file management experience a plus
Send cover letter and resume to Patricia Stone, [email protected].
We have limited number of paid internships available throughout the year in Editorial, Production, and Marketing, and they are all based in our main office in White River Junction, VT. We do not offer remote internships. The typical duration is several months.
If you are interested in an internship please submit a resume and cover letter, which details the department you are interested working in and your dates of availability via email to [email protected]. No phone calls please.
We currently have no open positions at this time.