Add some punch to a bland winter afternoon. Dust off your frying pan and whip up some Spicy Fired Egg and Tomato for yourself or your family. Taken from This Organic Life by Joan Dye Gussow, this recipe is great for less-than-perfect tomatoes. For this recipe you will need: 1 mild green chili pepper, 4 tablespoons unrefined corn oil, 1 teaspoon cumin, 8 tomoatoes, 4 eggs, salt and pepper.
1. chop the green chili pepper finely
2. fry lightly in the corn oil
3. stir in cumin and fry for another minute
4. cut tomatoes in halves and add them to the pan, salt and pepper to taste
5. fry lightly on both sides without letting the tomatoes burn
6. when the tomatoes are soft, lift them onto a plate and keep warm while you fry 4 eggs in the remaining cumin and oil
7. serve immediately with 2 tomatoes for each egg