Disaster on the Horizon
High Stakes, High Risks, and the Story Behind the Deepwater Well Blowout
Cavnar captures all the drama of the disaster with an oilman's expertise. This book not only explains what happened on the well on April 20th, but all the decisions made in the past that led up to that fateful night. In the process, Cavnar hasn't just delivered a riveting story, but a political call to arms.
—Mimi Swartz, Executive Editor of Texas Monthly and co-author of Power Failure: The Inside Story of the Collapse of Enron
What Really Happened Out in the Gulf?
2010 ForeWord Book of the Year – Silver Winner: Environment
The Deepwater Horizon blowout dominated the world’s attention for months, yet Americans still lack an understanding of the greatest environmental disaster in U.S. history. Disaster on the Horizon is the first comprehensive book on the causes of the disaster by expert Bob Cavnar. He delivers a hard-hitting portrait of industry and government woefully unprepared to respond.
From inside the oil business – field hand to CEO – Cavnar witnessed the carelessness of the industry first hand when he was burned by a gas well fire in 1981.
Disaster on the Horizon reveals explosive details:
- Collusion between BP and the government to hide the severity of the spill.
- The blowout preventer technology details – why it failed.
- The behind-the-scenes story of the Obama administration’s $20 billion deal with BP.
- How BP blamed others for their mistakes.
- BP’s corner cutting on safety.
- The risky top kill procedure.
- Obama’s failure to take advice from industry experts.
Disaster on the Horizon provides a roadmap for ensuring this never happens again. Cavnar calls out his own industry for ignoring safety improvements and lobbying to end the moratorium on off-shore drilling as quickly as possible. Cavnar’s takeaways:
- Technology must be vastly improved before deepwater drilling resumes. The industry had a chance to get started on this during the moratorium, but delayed and lobbied instead.
- Tougher regulations on deepwater drilling should be enacted–in technology, disaster preparedness, and response operations.
- A comprehensive energy policy that creates a favorable environment for full-scale alternative energy development and conservation.