Chelsea Green Publishing is looking for an experienced, book-loving, sustainability-minded Media and Communications Associate to join our growing marketing team in the company’s Burlington, VT office.
If you’re interested, please send resumé and cover letter by November 20th, to Communications Director, Shay Totten at [email protected] No phone calls, please.
The Media and Communications Associate is a full-time staff position with responsibilities in leading the Chelsea Green marketing team’s social media and web content strategy and assisting with publicity, media outreach, and relevant marketing strategies to expand audience engagement and brand development. The Media and Communications Associate reports to the Communications Director. This is a full-time, salaried position based in the Burlington, VT, office with the expectation that one day per week, on average, is spent in CGP’s White River Junction, VT office.
Below is an outline of the Associate’s core responsibilities and duties:
Social Media and Online Content
Media and Publicity Tasks
- Take the lead role in creating social media postings and engaging with our online community via social media. Tasks include:
- Maintain a regular calendar and share with marketing staff;
- Work closely with authors to manage their book release campaigns and speaking tours;
- Tracking and responding to social media statistics to ensure high quality, and high levels of engagement on all platforms. Provide monthly reports to key staff and managers; and,
- Prepare Chelsea Green content for other content-sharing platforms, as needed, such as Scribd.
- Research and draft content topics posted to the company’s blog, social media, and multimedia channels for maximum SEO, reach, branding, and effectiveness. Tasks include:
- Monitoring the emerging, and existing, trends and best practices in SEO, social media, and other online marketing strategies to build our online presence and brand awareness;
- Develop and maintain partnerships with like-minded organizations to help build our online community and expand the brand identity of our books, authors, and CGP; and,
- Develop and manage content strategies to expand our engagement into new audiences, and deepen our reach into existing markets.
- Handle requests for review copies, via email.
- Develop and manage media campaigns for individual books, as well as individual authors.
- Track media hits, (or assign to Marketing and Publicity Intern when necessary), send weekly report to staff and publicists.
- Assist the Communications Director in researching and engaging with bloggers, reporters, and reviewers to review our books and/or authors.
- Assist Communications Director in the drafting and distribution of press releases and targeted emails promoting authors as they travel to select cities and regions.
- Assist Communications Director in the research, drafting, and distribution of targeted promotions to select media, producers and hosts.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with members of the media.
- College degree
- Commitment to Chelsea Green’s business and publishing mission
- Excellent organizational skill
- Excellent communications skills
- Proven background in media relations, marketing and/or publicity
- Strong social skills
- Background in community engagement and audience development a plus
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with little supervision
- Able to prioritize and juggle competing deadlines
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel a must, as well as Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and other social media and blogging platforms. Knowledge of database management a plus, as well.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat)
- Provide weekly reports to Communications Director to be included as part of their reports to full staff
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, and other online tracking software.
- Participate in weekly sales and marketing meetings
- Travel to trade shows and author events as necessary
To apply, please email a cover letter, resumé, three references, and a selection of writing samples to Shay Totten, Communications Director, [email protected] Please, no phone calls.