Sigh. Sometimes I wish I lived in Portland.
Our friend Dave Burdick over at Big Green Boulder points us toward an exciting new trend developing there: moving by bicycle. Crazy, you say? Well, maybe. But maybe not!
Moving a short distance, say…fewer than 10 miles, over relatively flat terrain? Do you have lots of friends or know people with bikes and bike trailers? You can do it. Here’s how.
There are some great tips over at shift2bikes, including:
- Tell EVERYBODY you’re going to do it. Not just your friends. Get the local bike freaks involved.
- Be so prepared that if somebody shows up with a bike and a trailer, you can get them loaded up and on their way in a matter of minutes.
- Provide food at the beginning and end.
- Plan out your route meticulously to avoid nasty traffic and unnecessary slopes.
- Be prepared with tarps and things in case of rain or snow!
- Have a backup plan in case it doesn’t work at all — maybe you can finish the job with one trip in a car with a big trunk.
- Tell EVERYBODY that you did it! Post photos, videos, etc. — inspire somebody!
Read more at shift2bikes — and get jealous of the level of organization already in place in Portland.