- Chelsea Green - http://www.chelseagreen.com/content -
Friends, Vermonters, lend animal husbanders your ears (and your opinions)
Posted By JTE On July 25, 2006 @ 3:34 pm In Garden & Agriculture | No Comments
Vermont Agency of Agriculture
Premises Registration Rule
Come Make YOUR Voice Heard
– Comment on the Proposed Rule.
VT Public Hearing Dates/ Times/ Towns/ Locations:
July 25, 2006 9:30-11:30 AM Island Pond Town Clerks Office
July 25, 2006 1:00-3:00 PM NewportState Off. Bldg -100 Main, 3fl Rm 250
July 27, 2006 9:30-11:30 MorrisvilleFarmServ.Agency 109 Professional Dr
July 27, 2006 1:00-3:00 PM Lyndonville Police Station
August 1, 2006 9:30-11:30 AM Swanton Municipal Office
August 1, 2006 1:00-3:00 PM Grand Isle Grand Isle School
August 8, 2006 9:30-11:30 AM Rutland Rutland Library- Fox Room
August 8, 2006 1:00-3:00 PM Springfield Springfield-Howard Dean Ctr.
August 10, 2006 9:30-11:30 AM Arlington, E. Arl. Fire House, Old Mill Rd
August 10, 2006 1:00-3:00 PM Brattleboro VT Ag. Bus.Ed. Center
August 15, 2006 9:30-11:30 AM Middlebury American Legion Hall
August 15, 2006 1:00-3:00 PM Williston Williston Town Hall
August 17, 2006 9:30-11:30 AM Randolph VTC-Langevin Building Rm 103
August 17, 2006 1:00-3:00 PM Montpelier Pavilion Auditorium
From the Agency of Agriculture Web Site:
The rule includes the following key provisions:
1. Biennial Registration Renewal Required
2. Those who keep “livestock” in this state will register their premises with VAAFM. For the purposes of this rule, “Livestock” includes cattle, sheep, goats, equine, deer, American bison, swine, poultry, pheasant, Chukar/partridge, Coturnix quail, camelids, and ratites. This term shall include cultured trout (6 VSA §1151)
3. Registration does not create any “ownership” rights that do not otherwise exist. It merely identifies a location in this state at which livestock are kept. The unique premises code remains with that location, even if the registrant changes (some exceptions apply).
4. Operators of livestock facilities currently licensed by VAAFM (dairy farms, cervid farms, animal markets, livestock dealer premises, livestock transporter premises, slaughter establishments, equine quarantine facilities, and rendering establishments) must register the facilities licensed to them and may not let others register those premises for them. Generally, license holders will be able to register as part of their license renewal.
5. The registration requirement under this rule will be implemented in a two-tiered process. Livestock operations that sell product to the public will need to register within 6 months. Those who keep livestock as a hobby or for personal use will need to register within one year.
6. There is no fee to register livestock premises. A person may register on-line or in writing on forms provided by VAAFM. Forms will be readily available from VAAFM and/or contract agent. VAAFM will send biennial renewal forms to registrants to make renewal as easy as possible. Renewals, like initial registrations, may be transacted on-line.
7. Each registrant must provide the following information:
- Registrant’s legal name, trade names if any, mailing address, and phone number.
- Primary premises location and up to 3 secondary locations included in the registered premises.
- Name and phone number of a contact person with knowledge of livestock movements to and from all locations comprising the premises, if different from above.
- Type(s) of livestock operation (e.g. Farm, Slaughterhouse, etc).
- Type(s) of livestock kept.
8. The information is protected and confidential under 6 VSA §61.
If you need a copy of this file, call Rural Vermont at 802-223-7222 and we will mail you a copy.
Article printed from Chelsea Green: http://www.chelseagreen.com/content
URL to article: http://www.chelseagreen.com/content/friends-vermonters-lend-animal-husbanders-your-ears-and-your-opinions/
URLs in this post:
 www.ruralvermont.org: http://www.ruralvermont.org/