We’re Hiring: Communications Director
Publish books that change the world.
Chelsea Green is looking for a creative, experienced Communications Director who can bring a deep understanding of media strategy to our employee-owned, mission-driven company. If you’re looking to work in a small, entrepreneurial environment and for a socially responsible business take a look at the job description below and submit your application today.
Send applications to the Marketing Director
Sean Maher: [email protected].
No phone calls, please.
The Communications Director is a senior-level, fulltime salaried exempt position with responsibility for developing media outreach strategy for new titles as well as ongoing media communication for recently published and backlist titles. She/he reports directly to the Marketing Director and works closely with authors and the core marketing and editorial teams, including editors, author events staff, digital and social media staff, sales and customer service. In addition, this role will be key in developing content partnerships with outside organizations and media outlets as well as developing a media strategy around company news and new initiatives, working closely with the marketing director on brand development. The ideal candidate will have substantial experience in executing successful publicity campaigns. This position is based in White River Junction, VT.
- Oversee, develop, and implement overall publicity strategy and campaigns for new titles, working with the Marketing Director and Publisher on individual title and publicity department goals.
- Execute publicity campaigns through outreach to traditional broadcast and print media outlets as well as key digital media websites and blogs, including writing press releases, pitching media, sending advance copies and scheduling author media appearances for 5-7 titles per season or 10-14 titles annually.
- Develop and maintain key editorial contacts in national, regional, local, progressive and niche media.
- Meet with key national and niche media to present the CGP Spring and Fall lists; attend industry events and conferences as necessary.
- Research and reach out to organizations, companies, online networks & communities aligned with CGP’s mission and work creatively to partner.
- Coordinate with the Digital Development Director to support online book publicity campaigns for new titles via email, social media, and third party collaborations, including crafting blog posts and partnership-placed content links on social media.
- Develop and oversee the creation of other CGP outreach collateral for media and the general public.
- Manage and mentor the publicity staff, including contract and freelance publicists.
- With the Senior Book Strategist, oversee and manage marketing assistants and interns helping with overall media communication.
- Research and build relationships with organizations, companies, online networks & communities aligned with CGP’s mission and work creatively to partner with them. Includes: working with authors on original content placement; working with partners on excerpts; working with partners on contesting.
We want you to join our passionate team if you have:
- Bachelor’s Degree and 7+ years of professional experience
- Existing contacts and relationships with national, regional, and niche media
- Hands on expertise in generating creative pitch language, coupled with sound editorial judgment
- Ability to think strategically
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Proven leadership skills
- Self-directed, driven, and enthusiastic
- An understanding of the Chelsea Green mission and employee-ownership culture
Competitive salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include Employee Stock Option Plan (employee owned company), healthcare, paid vacation, employer contribution to retirement plan, culture for growth, career with purpose in a fun and dynamic work environment. Fulltime salaried exempt position, based in White River Junction, VT.
Please send a resumé and cover letter by August 1st, to [email protected] No phone calls, please.
Founded in 1984, Chelsea Green Publishing is recognized as the leading publisher of books on the politics and practice of sustainable living. For over 30 years, Chelsea Green has been the go-to publisher for people seeking foundational books on the politics and practice of sustainable living, including organic gardening and agriculture, renewable energy, green building, eco-cuisine, and ethical business. In 2012, we decided to practice what we publish and became employee-owned. We are a founding member of the Green Press Initiative and have been printing books on recycled paper since 1985 when our first list of books went on sale. We print our books on paper that consists of a minimum of 30 percent post-consumer waste and aim for 100 percent whenever possible. We also don’t print our books overseas, but rather use domestic printers to keep our shipping costs (and impact on the environment) at a minimum.