Summary: The Publicity Assistant is a full-time staff position that supports the Chelsea Green’s marketing team with book publicity, media outreach, author relations, database management, research and administrative duties. The Publicity Assistant reports to the Director of Publicity. This is a full-time, salaried, non-exempt position for a motivated, well-organized self-starter with a demonstrated interest in sustainability and environmental issues, book publishing, and the media.
- Creating press sheets and other material tied to publicity campaigns for our new and forthcoming books
- Review relevant media placement, log and aggregate for weekly reporting
- Plan, prep and distribute advance and review copy mailings to the media
- Media list development, research, and media database management as assigned
- Address, fulfill and log incoming review copy requests via our general publicity inbox and publicity team
- Respond to media requests for book assets including book jacket art, interior images, and publicity excerpts
- Maintain and update master list of confirmed and pending media placement
- Flag key media hits for web team that warrant more rapid distribution via our social media platforms
- With oversight from Director of Publicity and team, develop and implement publicity campaigns for new titles as assigned through outreach to print and broadcast media outlets as well as key online news sources
- Pitching media, confirming earned placement, arranging author interviews
- Attend regularly-scheduled marketing and sales meetings, title positioning meetings, and author meetings
- College degree
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, and InDesign
- Knowledge of Quick Base and Cision a plus
- Previous experience in media relations and marketing a plus
- Commitment to Chelsea Green’s business and publishing mission
Position: Full-time, non-exempt position, based at our main office in White River Junction, Vermont
To apply: To submit your application, send resume and cover letter to Steven Pomije, Director of Publicity: [email protected]. Please specify the position in the subject line.
About Chelsea Green: Since 1984, Chelsea Green has been the go-to publisher for people seeking foundational books on the politics and practice of sustainable living, including organic gardening and agriculture, renewable energy, green building, eco-cuisine, and ethical business. In 2012, we decided to practice what we publish and became employee-owned. We are a founding member of the Green Press Initiative and have been printing books on recycled paper since 1985, when our first list of books went on sale. We print our books on paper that consists of a minimum of 30 percent post-consumer waste and aim for 100 percent whenever possible.