This is a comprehensive manual of design and building methods for owner-builders as well as professional builders and their clients. In addition to presenting specific building techniques, the book explains the design principles and planning processes that underlie all good building, so that readers can develop their own exceptional designs, independently.
Independent Builder develops subjects not covered thoroughly in other books, but critical to success:
- Designing small houses that seem big
- Understanding innovation
- Estimating and controlling costs
- Incorporating ergonomics and accessibility
- Doing drawings and scale models
- Making contracts that work