Can Barack Obama redeem his presidency?
Throughout his first year, Obama dismayed many of his most fervent supporters by failing to make a Roosevelt-scale break with the old economic order that brought the economy to crisis. He sought common ground with Republicans who were determined to destroy him. He gave priority to Wall Street over Main Street. The far right began to appropriate the populist anger.
In this definitive account of Obama’s first 14 months, best selling author and economic critic Robert Kuttner tells the story of why Obama did not rise to the occasion in 2009, how he filled his administration with the same financial elites that produced the collapse—and how Obama can still redeem his presidency and the promise of a new progressive era.
As Kuttner explains, the wake-up call after the Massachusetts senate election and Obama’s belated leadership on health reform are just the beginning of a long road back to the hopes that Obama kindled as a candidate. Kuttner concludes by reporting on the interplay of progressive activism on the ground and presidential leadership in the White House.
Read an excerpt on Scribd.
Robert’s Upcoming Events
- Robert Kuttner at Heller School/Brandeis UniversityHeller School for Social Policy and Management, Brandeis University, Waltham MA 02454April 20, 2010, 12:00 pm
Robert Kuttner will give a lecture at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis University in Waltham, MA on April 20th at 12:00 pm. Call (781) 736-3866 or visit the link above to learn more.
- Robert Kuttner at Occidental College1600 Campus Road , Los Angeles CA 90041April 26, 2010, 5:00 pm
Robert Kuttner will speak and sign copies of his books at Occidental College in Los Angeles on April 26th at 5:00 pm. Visit the link above to learn more.
- Robert Kuttner at Good Jobs, Green Jobs ConferenceHilton Hotel, 1919 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington DC 20009May 4, 2010, 4:30 pm
Robert Kuttner will speak on a panel at the Good Jobs, Green Jobs Conference on May 4th from 4:30-6:00 pm in Washington, DC. More information can be found by visiting the link above.
- Robert Kuttner at Busboys & Poets2021 14th Street NW, Washington DC 20009May 4, 2010, 6:30 pm
Robert Kuttner will discuss and sign copies of his book, A Presidency In Peril, at Busboys & Poets in Washington, DC on Tuesday, May 4th at 6:30 pm. Call (202) 387-7638 to learn more.
- Robert Kuttner at Joseph Murphy Institute of the City University of New York Luncheon25 W. 43rd St. (between 5th and 6th avenues), New York New York 10036May 13, 2010, 12:00 pm
Robert Kuttner will speak at a luncheon on May 13 sponsored by the Joseph Murphy Institute of the City University of New York.
- Robert Kuttner at Ford Hall ForumMain Function Room, Suffolk University Law School, Boston MAJune 3, 2010, 8:00 am
Robert Kuttner will speak at the Ford Hall Forum in Boston on Thursday, June 3rd from 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. Visit the link above for more information.